Sunday, January 12, 2014

Let the Weight Gain Begin!

Hey Readers,

Yes, it's been a few days. Writing daily is not quite working out with work (which has been CRAZY BUSY). When I last left you I was getting a migraine. Yup, it turns out it was a migraine. Now before y'all go blaming Paleo for that,  I have been the unhappy recipient of migraines since the 6th grade when I got one in Mrs. Graffum's class. However, here's something that's never happened before: I didn't get an aura warning me that I was getting a migraine. For me, auras are a signal to take Excedrin, get home, shut the blinds and wait to get through it. Since I thought it was from office lighting/air I didn't take anything until I'd been home for about 30 minutes. Well, that migraine was fairly miserable and lasted awhile because of that delay in getting meds.

Okay, back to Paleo - Thursday I read a review of the top X diets of 2013 and Paleo was last on the list. The summary was basically that, yes, it works, but so does any diet where you eat less calories. My first reaction was that I eat as much as I want! Then I calculated what I'd ate the night before: Probably about 8 ounces of pork tenderloin and 3 chicken thighs with zucchini, onions, tomatoes. Come to estimate that it's not really that many calories after all! This theory was further proved out Friday morning when I gained weight instead of losing. You see, I went out to dinner Thursday night and ordered chicken and broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts. I drank soda water. Everything is on the approved list, but what I did was allow an old mentality to creep in. I paid $14 for that chicken dish and so I ate more than I needed. I was full once I ate about half but I ended up eating about 3/4 or more. THEN I came home and wanted a treat so I ate a big slice of turkey ham. That didn't hit the spot so I had about 8 cashews (the same ones I said I wasn't going to eat anymore). The next night I had Boston Market and was full after eating the drumstick and a bit or two from the breast. I continued to eat because it was IN FRONT OF ME and because I PAID FOR IT!

Well I sure did pay for it. I went from losing 2lbs a day to gaining back about 1.5 lbs in two days. What's the lesson here? Well, actually it's a big win for me! I figured out a mentality that doesn't serve me well and I nipped it in 2 days because of how much more aware I am mentally and physically about how I am treating my body. WOO HOO! That's cause for celebration! I think I'll have a soda water with lime.

PS - I will post a timeline of my weight at the end of the 31 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment